UCSB Student Specific Resources

Where can I find resources related to disability student life and university living?

UCSB Student Resources and Living in Isla Vista/Santa Barbara County

if you’re looking for disability student and community resources, please visit the Isla Vista Community Service District’s website. The IVCSD is the local government of Isla Vista and has awesome resources and contact information for you and your family. Everything from housing, transportation, emergency preparedness, COVID safety, accessible recreation/fitness, career-building, and independent living services. Check it out here! I Disability Community Resource Page PDF

UCSB Associated Students Official Website

UCSB Associated Students is the largest collective of student-run and funded organizations on our campus. Their mission is to help students uphold the high academic standards and give them leadership, employment, cultural and growth opportunities to serve the campus community. A.S is non-profit organization and a department of the UCSB campus, funded by undergraduate student fees. Through elected student positions and appointments we voice student concerns and express student opinion to the UCSB administration, UC system, our community, and state and local governments. We have dozens of boards, committees, and commissions that are organized and funded through A.S. to enrich student life and give students services and opportunities not offered by the administration. Our mission is to help students uphold the high academic standards and give them leadership, employment, cultural and growth opportunities to serve the campus community. To learn more, or to get involved in any of the current organizations, commissions, and advocacy groups, including CODE, click here.

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) is committed to providing a support and information bts ase that validates each student’s experience and nurtures a sense of participation, belonging, and empowerment. Through mentorship, academic programs, one-to-one counseling/advising, campus student support service referrals, and social/cultural programming, we strive to maximize a student’s involvement and success in the campus academic community. In addition to assisting students through to graduation, EOP helps motivate and inform students to utilize services to enhance their preparation for the job market and/or graduate/professional school admission. EOP focuses on serving those who are income-eligible/receive need-based financial aid and first-generation undergraduates. Check out if you’re eligible for the AS/EOP Grant.

UCSB Promise Scholars

The Promise Scholar program at UC Santa Barbara empowers high-achieving, first-generation students from low-income households. The Promise Scholar program offers $120,000 in grants and scholarships to first-year students over four years and $60,000 to transfer students over two years. To qualify for full Promise Scholar funding, students must adhere to all Federal, State, and Institutional deadlines for financial aid AND remain Pell Grant and Cal Grant eligible as determined by each academic year’s income and asset ceilings

Transitioning into Higher Education with a Disability

In the summer of 2020 and 2021, Sophia Lee-Park gave a presentation entitled Transitioning into Higher Education with a Disability and/or Varying Access Needs. (link embedded) This presentation contains information on the types of DSP accommodations available at UCSB, personal tips for disabled students, and information on CODE’s work and how to get involved.

Secure Housing Accommodations

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Housing Act, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, you may qualify to receive housing accommodations from UCSB University & Community Housing Services. For more information, contact their office by emailing housinginfo@housing.ucsb.edu, or call 805-893-4371, and ask about how to file a “Request for Special Housing Accommodations.”

Upon submitting the application, the committee comprised of UCSB staff from University & Community Housing Services and the Disabled Students Program will review your submission and determine reasonable accommodation(s) for approved medical/ disability need(s). For more information on housing accommodation regulations and protections, see this guidebook produced by the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan.

Where can I find more resources related to meeting my access needs?

See below, and visit our Accessibility Resources page for more! Our webpage CODE’s DSP Guide provides a student-written overview of the services that UCSB’s Disabled Students Program offers. We also have an Accessibility Tools for Education spreadsheet where you can both find accessibility tools and provide links to others you know of. Feel free to add as many as you like!

Administrative Resources

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

Who can I go to if I have a complaint?

Office of the Ombuds

The Office of the Ombuds helps students, staff, and faculty who are dealing with various kinds of issues, including but not limited to interpersonal conflict or violence, academic troubles, workplace issues, and other problems. Their services are “off the record”, meaning that students, staff, and faculty can resolve their issues informally without notifying the university. This is another option for students with accessibility concerns who do not wish to formally file a grievance through the Office of the Student Advocate. For students, services available include consultation and mediation. Consultations are meetings with the ombuds in which they listen to concerns, work with the student to establish goals, and help develop plans for addressing their issues. Mediation is when two individuals who are having a conflict voluntarily go to the Office of the Ombuds in order to receive help in resolving their conflict. More information can be found on the Ombuds website by visiting the following link: https://ombuds.ucsb.edu/

Office OF the Student Advocate

The Office of the Student Advocate is where students can go to seek free and confidential representation, consultation, and other help when charged with violating the Student Code of Conduct. The Student Advocate General is also there to help with addressing accessibility-related concerns on a university affairs level and can represent students in communication with the university. The OSA has four divisions: Academic, Conduct, Grievances, and Financial, for disputes in each of those areas. The OSA works to challenge unfair university policies and advocate for students’ rights during their hearings. The Grievances department also exists for students who are not charged with violating the Student Code of Conduct, and instead wish to file formal grievances in regards to, for example, violations of the ADA or other instances of inaccessibility. Caseworkers work with students to ensure they can represent themselves effectively, while the OSA Community Organizers revise policies based on case trends. The OSA website can be found by visiting the following link: https://advocate.as.ucsb.edu/